Essential Oils aren't just for hippies!

So I posted a picture of some of my essential oils on Instagram and I got quite the response. I should have known that people do not know how oils work, how to use them, or why they should use them, so i decided I should write up a post about it. Now now now, I know a lot of people are skeptical of things like this.. and trust me! I was one of them!... Essential oils are for hippy, nature freaks, and earth lovers right? ..WRONG. Essential oils are for everyone.. and here is my personal take on oils and why they work.

History: It should come as no surprise that essential oils have been around since the beginning of time. People thousands of years ago used our Earth’s resources to heal, prevent sickness, and treat different ailments.. we know this from scriptures. Essential oils are found in plants, shrubs, fruit, trees, bushes.. you get the idea. Well the oils are stored in glandular structures and assist the plan in a lot of different ways. Oils can help defend the plant from predators, it can support the plants cell regeneration, regulate hormones… and a lot of other sciency things that a lot of you probably don’t care about. You can read more about what the oils do for the plants here. My friend Haley runs that blog and we work together.. she is awesome!

WHAT DO THE OILS DO?
The better question to ask is.. What can't oils do? Oils can do everything!!!!!! Literally there is an oil for every type of  symptom, cut, bruise, burn, emotion issues.. you name it.. there is an oil for it. It is sometimes overwhelming when you first start looking into oils.. like What oil do I use? How do I use it?... But I can tell you there are so many resources out there that are awesome! Usually I just turn to google.. I’ll google things like “essential oil for stomach pain”… “Essential oil for headache”… and bam.. a million sites with recommendations on what to use. I also downloaded an app with tonz of suggestions.  Or I will experiment. I love trying different oils in different situations to see what works. Oils are different for everyone so you have to learn what works for you. Experiment! It is so awesome.

HOW TO USE OILS
Well.. there are three basic ways.. you can breathe them in.. preferably by using a diffuser (like a mini humidifier on steroids). You can use them topically, like just by rubbing them onto your skin. You can even ingest them.. like in a pill form.. or by adding a drop of oil to your favorite drink. I LOVE adding grapefruit, lemon, or lime to my drinks.. so tasty! J
What is great about essential oils is that they are so fast acting. Because they are fat soluble, they are absorbed into our bloodstream very quickly. I love it because I can feel the effects of an oil almost immediately.. instead of waiting for my ibuprofen to kick in, or pepto to start working. IT IS CRAZY. I literally have so many stories I could tell you where oils have saved me from stomach issues, headaches, bruises, food poisoning..etc!

Which oils should you get?
Well.. if you are just starting out.. I would suggest some basics. My favorite oils at the moment are:
 1. Peppermint: probably the most universal oil in my opinion.. headaches, stomach aches, energy.. it does it all.
 2. Thieves: any time I have the slightest sore throat, or that ‘I’m getting sick feeling’ … thieves comes to my rescue.
3. Lavender: SO good for your skin. I add it to my moisturizer… also good for burns, cuts, and calms the body. Love adding it to my baths..it helps me relax and calm down after stressful days at work :)

So there are my top three. Thieves is a blend of different oils to make one ‘super oil’ if you will.. only Young Living carries this specific oil. I do not sell Young Living oils, but I am a raging fan!
:)

I am thinking about doing different posts featuring different oils to help you guys understand what certain oils can do/help with. Let me know if you have specific questions.. I would be more than happy to research it and let you know! Obviously I am no expert, but it is definitely something I love learning about. Also I am going to start posting some of my success stories with oils.

Give oils a chance! :)

Post questions in the comments section. :)

No comments

I love comments!